It is the most complex organ in the human being, and the third largest. A piece of brain cell is roughly the size of a grain, contains 100,000 neurons, one billion synapse which are all communicating with one another. The myth that we only use 10% of our brain is not true; we use every part of our brain which consists of 86 billion cells.Facts about the Brain
Facts about the Brain
- The brain makes new neurons throughout life in response to mental activity
- Weighs around three pounds
- Consists of 60% fat, the fattest organ in the body
- Consists of 100 billion neurons and each neuron has 1,000 to 10,000 synapses
- Uses 20% of its total energy in oxygen uptake
- Consists of 75% water – if the brain become 2% dehydrated it can affect attention, memory and other cognitive skills.
- There are no pain receptors in brain, therefore the brain cannot feel pain
- When awake the brain generates 10-23 watts of power – or enough energy to power a light bulb!
- Is 25% of cholesterol exists in the brain and needs cholesterol for brain cell health or the cells die.
- There are 100,000 miles of blood vessels in the brain.
- The Limbic system is the part of the brain that defines who we are.
The Limbic System
Deep within the brain is the Limbic System, the part of the brain where emotions come from and is the center of who we are.
Damage to the Limbic system creates dysregulation causing a person to be stuck in a loop of fear, anxiety, excessive worry, obsessive compulsive behaviour, depression and other issues now labeled as mental health issues.More about the limbic system
regulated and dysregulated
This image comparison is a good representation of differences between healthy and unhealthy brain.
Are you experiencing any of these symtpoms? It might be good to take an neurofeedback assessment and adress potential issues.
EEG – Neurofeedback
Known to repair and/or improve the Limbic and Nervous System
Electroencephalograph (EEG) based Neurofeedback (NFB)A.K.A., Biofeedback for the brain, is a well-established applied neuroscience that provides an environment within which the brain is able to functionally interact with itself to observe and amend trauma based dysregulations, working towards proficiency, self-regulation, and ultimately, optimal performance. NFB is the first research supported therapy that employs the most recent knowledge of neuro-plasticity, showing how the malleable brain adaptively functions, thereby changing the way it processes information in accordance with personal and environmental wants needs and pressures. NFB is the mirroring of the brain to itself, to observe, reward, and reshape our lives, enabling us to experience who we were intended to be, our original selves, aware, calm, clear, and appropriately responsive. Neurofeedback works.
known to treat
- ADHD ADD
- Anxiety disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Insomnia and sleep disorders
- Learning disabilities
- Peak performance
- Seizures and Epilepsy
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
Book an appointment today
Monday – Friday
8:00 am – 5:00 pm
507 Baker Street,
Nelson BC, V1L 4J2